Project SpecificationsTotal Units: 75
- 67 1-Bedroom
- 8 2-Bedroom
- 50% AMI
- Completed in 2008
- Owner • Developer • General Contractor • Property Manager • Supportive Services Provider
- Tax Exempt Bonds
- LIHTC - 4%
- HCD State HOME Loan
- City of Palmdale RDA Loan
- FHLB AHP
- Community Center
- Computer Lab
- Conveniently located near Palmdale Senior Center, Public Library, City Hall and Public Pool
National CORE’s first tax-credit financed community in Palmdale, Whispering Palms sparked a major effort to revitalize the surrounding neighborhood. The community is designed to promote “aging in place” as Hope through Housing supports low-income seniors with its premier social service programs.
HOPE’s Connections to Care program ensures that seniors have basic needs met, continue to exercise their mind and body, and remain socially connected
- Care Managers work one-on-one with residents to ensure they are linked to appropriate benefit programs and have access to needed medical appointments and medications.
Impact on Participants
- 72% of HOPE’s senior residents take more than seven medications daily. Residents are able to reduce the cost burden of these medications with help accessing Medicaid and other medical benefits.
- Exercise clubs help keep the seniors at Whispering Palms physically fit and offers opportunities to develop friendships; new research from the National Academy of Science tells us that walking stimulates the brain, helping to ward off memory loss in older adults.