Project SpecificationsTotal Units: 40
- 5 1-Bedroom
- 30 2-Bedroom
- 5 3-Bedroom
- 50%, 60% AMI
- Completed in 2002
- Owner • General Contractor • Developer Property Manager • Supportive Services Provider
- Tax-Exempt Bonds
- LIHTC - 4%
- San Diego Housing Commission Funds
- Permanent Loan
- Developer Equity
- Community Room
- Learning and Computer Center
- Laundry Facility
Parkside Apartments are an important part of National CORE’s efforts to provide quality affordable housing paired with best practice social services to more than 4,000 residents in San Diego County. This community, revitalized in 2002, is located on a cul-de-sac and is within minutes from Mountain View Park, retail options and public transportation.
At Parkside Apartments, HOPE partners with Pazzaz to provide afterschool tutoring.
- Trained volunteers (college students or graduates) work with groups of no more than four students to assist with homework and challenging subject areas.
- Tutors serve as mentors and guides, offering academic help and adult friendships for youth who often lack positive adult role models in their lives.
Impact on Participants
- 89% of youth who receive help from HOPE’s afterschool programs report that they do a better job on homework with HOPE’s program help than by themselves.
- With many parents working long hours, most Parkside children would go home to empty apartments, lacking resources or role models to help and encourage them with their school work.