Project SpecificationsTotal Units: 60
- 16 Studio
- 28 1-Bedroom
- 16 2-Bedroom
- 50%, 60% AMI
- Completed in 2003
- Owner • General Contractor • Developer Property Manager • Supportive Services Provider
- Tax-Exempt Bonds
- LIHTC - 4%
- County of San Diego HOME/HOPWA Loan
- Permanent Loan
- Developer Equity
- Community Room
- Learning Center
- Swimming Pool
- Laundry Facility
- Gated Community
National CORE’s Spring Valley Apartments serve as a necessary and welcome affordable reprieve in the high-priced San Diego County housing market. The property went under extensive rehabilitation in 2003 and now features a learning center where students in the community attend afterschool programs.
At Spring Valley apartment homes, HOPE partners with Pazzaz to provide afterschool tutoring.
- Trained volunteers (college students or graduates) work with groups of no more than four students to assist with homework and challenging subject areas.
- Tutors serve as mentors and guides, offering academic help and adult friendships for youth who often lack positive adult role models in their lives.
Impact on Participants
- 89% of youth who receive help from HOPE’s afterschool programs report that they do a better job on homework with HOPE’s program help than by themselves.
- With many parents working long hours, most Spring Valley children would go home to empty apartments, lacking resources or role models to help and encourage them with their school work.