To comply with social distancing requirements, one pool video camera, one pool still photographer and one pool reporter will be allowed on-site. News media outlets are asked to make necessary pool arrangements in advance.
The San Diego Housing Commission and National CORE will provide video of the grand opening to news media after the conclusion of the event.
Date & Time:
Friday, July 31, 2020, 10 a.m.
- California State Assembly Majority Whip Todd Gloria, District 78
- County of San Diego Supervisor Nathan Fletcher, District 4
- City of San Diego Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer
- City of San Diego Councilmember Monica Montgomery, District 4
- San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC) President & CEO Richard C. Gentry
- National CORE Vice President of Acquisitions & Forward Planning John Seymour
- Hope through Housing Foundation President Greg Bradbard
- Encanto Village Resident
A short tour of the development will be provided.
A core area of Encanto located across the street from the Encanto/62nd Street Trolley Station, near schools, a park and retail, and envisioned as a growing business and housing corridor, is now home to 65 families with low income—including eight veterans who experienced homelessness—at a new affordable housing development that will celebrate its grand opening.
Developed by National CORE (National CORE), Encanto Village provides residents with access to on-site services, including after-school activities and classes in financial literacy, homebuyer education, résumé building, nutrition and English as a Second Language.
The San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC) awarded eight rental housing vouchers through HOUSING FIRST – SAN DIEGO, SDHC’s homelessness action plan, to help pay the rent for veterans who previously experienced homelessness. SDHC also awarded a loan to support the development, consisting of funds SDHC administers: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development HOME funds awarded to the City of San Diego and City Affordable Housing Funds.
Scott Marshall, SDHC
(619) 578-7138; firstname.lastname@example.org
Jill Van Balen, National CORE
(909) 204-3434; email@example.com